Book Club Questions for Set Up
“Ah, how good it is to be among people who are reading.”
— Rainer Maria Rilke
- What do you think the Ana Manwaring’s purpose was in writing this book? What ideas was she trying to get across?
- What do Set Up’s themes evoke for you?
- What do you think of the book’s cover? How well does it convey what Set Up is about?
- How original or unique did you findthis book? Did this Set Up seem realistic?
- How well do you think the author built the world in Set Up? Were the setting descriptions vivid and real?
- What do you think of the book’s title, Set Up? How does it relate to the book’s contents? What other title might you choose?
- Did the book’s pace seem too fast/too slow/just right?
- Which characters did you like best?
- Which characters did you like least?
- Which character in the book would you most like to meet?
- Did the characters seem believable to you? Did they remind you of anyone?
- If you were making a movie of Set Up, who would you cast?
- Why do you think JadeAnne stays in Mexico?
- Who do you think set her up, and why?
- Are you concerned about organized crime in Mexico? What is your opinion of the “war on drugs’ and do you think interdiction works?
- Were you comfortable with the open-ended conclusion to the story?
- Why did the author leave some things unresolved?What might have been included that was left out of the story?
- What other books did this remind you of?
- If you got the chance to ask the author one question, what would it be
- If you were to write fanfic about Set Up, what kind of story would you want to tell?
- Would you read another book by Ana Manwaring? Why or why not?